Monday, March 30, 2009

Military Ball on March 21st, at 1800 hours

About one month ago, two students from my 3rd period class approached me and said that I had been selected as the Honorary Teacher for JROTC and that they would be honored if I came to the Military Ball and brought my husband. I asked what the attire was they said formal, but that my husband did not have to rent a tuxedo or anything, dress pants, a shirt and tie would be okay. WOW !!! I was so excited because thus far AHS and I have had a love hate relationship where some days I love the school and others I do not. I went home talked with Scott and he said sure no problem. We put it on our calendars to come and then as the month went on I started learning about what I had been invited to and really did not grasp the real true statement that I was going to make until I arrived at the Military Ball. I knew that between my sister and I we had a formal that I could wear, no problem and Scott had his shirt and slacks and we could borrow a tie from my dad. All of our plans were set to go and hang out there for a while...we would not dance, accept maybe a slow dance, I would make an appearance and then be on my way. Our names were put on the list for the Front gate of the NAVAL base in Norco, I was told to show up at 5:30...Sweet all plans are set! Good news travels fast and pretty soon all of my JROTC students (about 15) and more knew that I was going to the Mil Ball. I heard everyday what the knew status of dress shopping, sabor arc, color presentation, programs, king, and queen, theme almost daily during passing period. I even got a 25 hours until mil ball, yea Mrs. Rollins. Scott & I calculated how long to travel, picked out my dress, his clothes and had everything ready. We checked in at the gate and entered found the location and drove up to the Lake Inn where the Ball would take place. My students know what kind of car I have and ran over to my car and said "WE ARE SO GLAD YOU MADE IT!!!" You can come in at 1800 hours, bummer we were on time and now had 30 minutes to kill. Scott decided to go on an exploration where we drove next to the prison, found a missle, and drove on a dirt road...fun and exciting, but I was a little afraid that we were going to get into trouble when we found the missle. We walked down the red carpet, through the sabor arc and my students were beaming, smiling ear to ear. We walked in found a place to sit and I hear, "OH MY GOSH MRS. ROLLINS, you look so BEAUTIFUL and I CAN'T BELIEVE you came!!!" that was from a student in 6th period...Scott & I st down at a table and then a student from my 5th period, who was just sworn in to the ARMY came over with his girlfriend and sat with us. He shook Scott's hand and then went on to talk about how happy he was that we came and said that he would keep us company through the night. On and on through the night all of my different students and even some that were not my students came over and talked to us, all so excited that we came. We ate, I danced to the Cha Cha slide, and we had a grand ole time.
The teacher of the JROTC came over to talk to me and said that in the history of the program that I am the first teacher who actually kept my word to the students and came. He said that the committee was all in agreement to select me as the honorary teacher. He said that the students in JROTC had not stopped talking about it and that it meant so much to them for me to come. It was a night to get all pretty up for my husband, support my students and keep my word and show my students that I was a person of character and integrity. Last night was one of those nights that was a bright shining moment for my husband to see what a great teacher I really am, see my students respect for me and to really be PROUD of his beautiful wife. We left around 2030 hours, ALL of my students there came and said by and when the students asked why I said that it was because I had church in the morning. They were so excited that I came and apparently it made some of their mil ball nights!!!

No comments: